Climate change is a major issue facing our planet, and it’s important that we all do our part to help protect the environment. Sea levels have risen by about 8 inches (20 centimetres) over the past century, and are expected to continue rising at an accelerating rate.
The Arctic is warming at a faster rate than any other region on Earth, with some areas experiencing warming of up to 3.6 degrees Fahrenheit (2 degrees Celsius) per decade, according to the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration.
One way to curb the onslaught is by making small changes in our daily habits.
What are climate-saving habits and what difference do they make?
Climate-saving habits no matter how small or big you might perceive them to be can have a significant impact on the environment. We don’t notice small changes because their immediate impact is negligible.
If we can make changes in our habits, we can be confident that these changes can lead to the right trajectory regardless of how little it may seem, Every little bit counts.
Here are 12 micro habits that you can start incorporating into your daily routine to help the climate:
What habits can we do to help the environment as an individual?
- Reduce your water usage by taking shorter showers and fixing any leaks in your home.
- Use reusable bags when grocery shopping to reduce the amount of plastic waste.
- Compost your food waste to reduce the amount of methane gas produced in landfills.
- Use a reusable water bottle and coffee mug to reduce the amount of single-use plastic.
- Switch to energy-efficient lightbulbs to reduce your carbon footprint.
- Use public or shared transportation, carpool, or walk instead of driving alone whenever possible.
- Support local and organic farming to reduce the carbon emissions associated with transportation and chemical fertilizers.
- Avoid using disposable plastic utensils and straws and opt for reusable options instead.
- Support companies and products that are environmentally friendly and sustainable.
- Plant a tree or start a garden to absorb carbon dioxide and produce oxygen.
- Educate yourself and others on the impacts of climate change and ways to combat it.
- Advocate policies and initiatives that prioritize the health of our planet.
By making small changes in our daily habits, we can collectively make a significant impact on the climate. It is important to remember that every action counts and every individual has the power to make a difference.
What habits can we do to help the environment as a company?
- Conduct a waste audit to identify areas for improvement and implement a recycling program.
- Use energy-efficient lightbulbs and appliances.
- Turn off lights and equipment when not in use.
- Use teleconferencing or video conferencing instead of business travel.
- Encourage employees to carpool or use public or shared transportation.
- Purchase environmentally-friendly products and office supplies.
- Install low-flow toilets and faucets to reduce water consumption.
- Support renewable energy sources, such as solar or wind power.
- Implement a composting program for food waste.
- Use digital documents instead of paper whenever possible.
- Encourage employees to work from home to reduce the carbon footprint of commuting.
- Partner with local organizations to support environmental conservation efforts.
Our habits and choices significantly impact our environment and our lives. So if you find that your behaviours and habits don’t seem to be paying off, try to focus on your current trajectory rather than your current results. You can always adopt efficient and cleaner energy sources, use renewable products and adopt a better and cleaner mode of transportation. By making small changes in our daily habits, we can collectively make a significant impact on the climate. It is important to remember that every action counts and every individual has the power to make a difference.